Sunday, October 11, 2015

Football


This year will be the first time in 26 years that I will be without American football. I started watching football when I was 8 with my dad and loved it. My Ninja Turtles and other action figures were no longer strange creatures, but football players. 

Although I am from Alabama where life revolves around college football, I had more interest in the NFL mainly because of the Los Angeles Raiders. I grew up in the 90’s in which rap music and being a thug was popular for goofy, white kids. I also saw the cool Raiders logo with the sword going through a skull being worn by all of the rappers and decided that this is my team.
I became a fanatic overnight and football became the most important thing in my life. I was not a Christian yet, so football was even more important than God. One of my best memories as a kid was watching football on the back porch of our house in Forrest Hills with my dad while he let me take sips of his Miller Lite and cooked chicken on the grill. It was the highlight of my week!

My passion for the now Oakland Raiders was still strong when Lacey and I started dating. I would miss important events because of a football game. There is also a famous story about the time when Lacey’s house burned down and she called me during a Raiders playoff game to tell me about it. I yelled at her and reminded her to never call me during a game. I think she understood and the house did not entirely burn down. The fireplace was still standing. Needless to say, we have come a long way. 

I will never forget the time when Lacey took me to my first Raiders game. It was the best moment of my life…at the time. We continued going to games every chance we got. We actually got to go out to Oakland for a game because I won an art contest. At the time, the only reason that I would fly was to see the Raiders. I also dressed up in my Raiders gear and painted my face to go to a Raiders/Titans game in Tennessee for my Bachelor party. Football was life and I thought it would always be that way, even after I became a Christian. 

However, Lacey and I were getting more serious about our faith and finding more life changing things to do. I wanted to spend my Saturday’s and Sunday’s doing more meaningful things rather than sitting in front of a television all day. I realized I was not going to be young forever and that there are things I can be doing right now and won’t be physically able to do in the future. Watching football is not one of them! I began to see how great our life was and that God has a plan for us while we are here for this short time.  

I began to wrestle with the question,“Is it okay for a Christian to spend so much time watching football knowing that people are suffering all around the world”. Is this Biblical? 

Did Jesus die on the Cross so that a small percentage of the world can sit back and get fat off of buffalo wings and watching football while the majority of the world is suffering and living off of less than one buffalo wing per day? More importantly, if the Bible is right and if our obligation and purpose for living as Christian’s is to share the Good News with the lost, then how is that I can just sit back and enjoy a meaningless game? 


I still loved football, but have come to realize that it is JUST a fun hobby and not real life.

Then I started to despise football fans. Alabama and Auburn football started winning and everyone centered their whole life around football. We talked about football 24/7. Football season was a year long topic. Winning became addictive and everyone talked about how important winning was. I did not get into football to see my team win. If I did, I would have chosen a better team! I liked football because of the atmosphere and the quality time I got to spend with friends and family. I honestly can care less who wins a football game or any sport for that matter…even if I am the one competing. I am competitive and do believe that winning is important in life, but not in a game in which I personally gain nothing. If Alabama wins or loses, I still get up the same way and go about my day. I gain nothing other than a quick thrill until the next game when they loose. 
  
One of my closest family members explained it to me like this’ “Clint, I love Nick Saban and Alabama football like you love your God, there is no difference between us. We just have different passions”. 

Uh- huh. Now I understand. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

It was even worse at church. Sunday mornings were filled with discussions about Saturday’s games. We went to Small Groups and all we talked about was football. I wanted to learn about God, not know how someone’s Fantasy Football team is doing. I could have gone out with my friends to drink a few beers if I wanted to talk about football all night and at least have an opportunity to share about God with them.

My friends justify this behavior by throwing scripture around that says God created all things for us to enjoy and we should enjoy football. I agree, but the question is, are we enjoying or worshiping football more than God? Let’s examine the two sides and see which one you talk and think about for most of your week. 

We say that we love God more, but do our actions and conversations reveal this?

I was excited to be getting out of a country and area that revolved around football. However, since I have been in Ecuador, I have deeply missed watching it. I miss Saturday’s, watching the games with friends and the time it gave me to shut down my brain and not think. I also miss going to Friday night football games in the small town of McKenzie, Alabama. This was one of my meditation places. I could get away from my struggles in Montgomery and find peace in a little town while watching some High School football. I also miss watching football with my dad. I have not watched a game with him in years. Our relationship has been bumpy at times since I became a Christian and drinking a beer with dad while watching football was not a high priority. But maybe it should be. I pray that God will allow us to watch a game together again one day.

Conclusion:

Football is great and I have regained my love for it since I have been in Ecuador. I do not think that it is bad to enjoy football. However, I do believe that I need to understand that it is simply a game and one of many pleasures that God has blessed us with. I pray that I also understand the definition of idols and if I am challenging my faith by spending too much time watching football or any other pleasures for that matter. 

The reality is that if God is real and we are truly living for Him; we can never spend enough time worshiping God in everything that we do…even while we are watching football. 



  

2 comments:

  1. We miss you guys. After a month in an unfamiliar part of India I can totally relate to the missing of the games. In the field I find myself trying to solve every problem and feel such an urgency of the call of Christ. Hannah and I stumbled to a 5 star hotel with a/c and escaped the noise of the road and chaos for a few hours. We were like totally different people. There was a musician singing popular top 40 hits from America. The brief reconnect with something familiar and the forgetting of the task as we shared a meal did us so much good. We miss you guys and talk about YOU and pray for you more than a loyal Saban fan. We eagerly await to share with you all that God is up to and continue to pray that God would lead you back to the field with us if it is His perfect will for your life and His Kingdom. Hugs and love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love God
    Love wife
    Love people
    Roll Tide

    ReplyDelete