Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The Question All Christians Have To Face?



  I noticed a certificate written in Hebrew while looking at a job for a customer. My friend explained to me that they were Jewish and this was their marriage certificate. I was intrigued and we spent the next 2 hours talking about our beliefs.

They were a little surprised that a Christian like myself was interested in listening to them and learning about their beliefs. I was amazed at how they saw things as a Jewish family living in Alabama. They shared with me their family history, beliefs, the synagogue, Hanukkah, and the three major types of Jewish people, (not including Messianic Jews). As we continued to talk, they began to share their struggles of living in the Bible Belt. They were frustrated with how friends would approach them and talk as if everyone were Christians. Both agreed that they did not tell anybody about their beliefs because of the condemnation or judgement that would follow. 

My friends also talked about how they felt persecuted by Christians. When others learned about their faith, they were more focused on showing  my friends how they are wrong in their beliefs while not really being concerned with sharing the love of Christ with them. My friend also shared about how Christians are always complaining about losing rights like praying in school, while their children had to go to a public school where teachers would read bible verses in class and openly talk about Jesus.

  It was interesting to hear these things because Christians seem to feel as if they are always being persecuted by others. I got to see how I could possibly be offending a Jewish family or someone with beliefs different from my own.

As we continued to discuss life, I could feel the conversation shifting to a new area. We were past the basic beliefs and started getting into the heart of what separates Christianity from other religions such as Judaism. I could feel the couple’s emotions and frustration toward Christians coming out. They began to ask and question me on my faith. They wanted to label me as a certain type of Christian. This is when I realized that this conversation was not going to end well if I stood by my faith and beliefs.
I could feel the question coming. They started with a few basic questions, first to ease into the real question, such as:

 "Why do you need a savior like Jesus, we(Jews) have a direct relationship   with God? We don't need a middle man to reach God.”

“Do you really believe that the most important thing poor, starving people around the world need is Jesus?”

 "Are you a Messianic Jew since you are being nice to us, but also claim to be a Christ follower?” 

And then they hit me with…

Do you believe that we are going to hell because we do not believe in Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior?

Do you actually believe that we will suffer the wrath of God because we do not claim that Jesus is the only way?

Do you honestly believe that God will punish good people like us and innocent people around the world because we do not know Jesus?

Before they asked this question, we were having a good conversation about our lives and differences in our beliefs. Now, there is a chance that I will not be invited back to this family’s house. Those were questions that we as Christ followers cannot waiver on. We have to understand that we can be understanding and loving to others, (no matter what they believe), but we cannot water down what we believe to avoid conflict or damaged relationships with others. 

Jesus said to them, “ I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you had known me, you would have known my Father also.”  
John 14:6 - 7




The answer is:  

There is only one way to spend eternity with God.
There is only one way to be forgiven for all of our sins.
There is only one way to have a personal relationship with God.

Jesus is the only way.

If we show any hint of another way or believe that there are other ways, our faith it worthless.




No comments:

Post a Comment