Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Bible Study Fellowship International (BSF)



Four years ago a friend invited me to a Bible study. Upon joining, I quickly realized that you better do your lessons because you Will get called on to share. But you know what, that is exactly what I needed, to be held accountable! I’m not sure if it was as intense as I remember it or it is just an overwhelming sense all newbies feel, but now it seems much more natural and I don’t get called on as much as I did when I was so new and overwhelmed. I became devoted to doing my study each week so I could have something to share the following week.  And whether I get the chance to share or not, I find myself hearing more and more from God throughout my time at BSF.

When I began, we studied Acts and other books of the Apostles, followed by a study of Genesis, Matthew, and now the life of Moses, as they alternated each year from New to Old Testament. When I found out the focus of this year’s study, I found myself less than excited.  I was more eager for next year’s study of the Book of Revelations, which I will sadly not be able to attend.  The thought of reading Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy did not entice me. Little did I know that God had big things in store for me through this study! I am so thankful that every single week God has used these Old Testament writings to reveal amazing truths to me that remind me how His Word is the Living Word and is so relevant to us today!

This time has not only borne fruit in my life, but in Sophie’s life as well.  The children’s program teaches a child-size version of exactly what we are studying. In addition to the Bible story, they also have a very structured schedule so the time spent with our children is time wisely spent. They even have a quiet time in which the kids learn to become comfortable sitting still and being with God. Now that is some awesome Proverbs 22:6 training! I sure hope Sophie never departs from loving time with God in the Word.


Although there is a BSF in Ecuador, we will not be close enough to connect with it. Sophie and I will both really miss this special time that has become a fixture in our schedule.  It has proven to be a wonderful guide to studying God’s Word and growing closer to Him, as well as a wonderful place to meet sweet and godly friends! So hopefully this will be “see ya later, till we meet again”! But in the mean time I highly recommend BSF for anyone who is interested in a Bible study studying God’s Word!


For whatever was written in former days was written for our instructions, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.
Romans 15:4






No comments:

Post a Comment