Tuesday, December 15, 2015

New


What’s new? Everything! 

I obviously expected newness when we moved to Ecuador, but when actually in the moment it can be overwhelming! A new language is just the start, and boy do I wish I paid more attention to the classes I took back in school! We meet new people everyday, try new foods, experience new activities, new daily routines, and the list can go on and on. For Sophie we have learned new ways to have fun, and ways to do crafts without the Dollar Tree at my disposal, and even getting crafty with her “toys” (why not use a whisk as a microphone). I have learned to make many things from scratch to eat and drink, which has been a wonderful experience. Unfortunately for our guests who came over for dinner it is not always successful. But they ended up inviting us to their house for a cooking lesson the next week, so it ended up being a good thing! We are making new friends the best we can with our strained conversations. But the universal language of love covers the many weaknesses we have.  

As for Sophie, she had no clue what she was getting into, but I think she is acclimating the best of all! She has decided she loves rice, which is good because they serve it daily here. The kids love to hear her speak English and play with her hair, and she loves all the new friends she is meeting. We put her in a local school so she can have more time with other kids and more exposure to the language, and she is very excited about that. I guess if you think about it at her age there are still so many things that would be new to her even if we did not move over seas so maybe that is why she adjusts so well… She is definitely an inspiration to me to be excited about everything and and just enjoy taking it all in. 


But do you know what is still the same? God’s Word and His promises and His love for all His children! And that is exactly why we are doing what we are doing! God brought us to this place and we want to serve Him wholeheartedly and love the people we meet with His love and grace. Praise God for this opportunity to learn and grow so much as we walk in His ways! I am also grateful that I am walking through all this with Clint and Sophie and that they too remain steadfast in my life! 

1 comment:

  1. Are those chicken feet? My girls from China are used to eating them! I haven't served them but many families in the US buy them for their children!

    Love catching up on your journey and all that God is doing in and through you!

    ReplyDelete